You can clearly hear the differences between mic selection, speaker cabinets, and amps. Effects like "Fuzz, Wah, and Overdrive" sound pretty good. I played it through headphones and through some weak computer speakers and was impressed by the sound in both scenarios. There is a little bit of crispy sounding distortion present in the clean tones, but not very much.
A free version, called Amplitube Free for iPad is also available, but with just three effects (one amp, one cabinet and the two microphones). 4 additional amps and 8 additional effects come standard with the full version are available via purchase in the app for $5 and $3. IK Multimedia says that additional amps and effects will be available in the future and available for both the full and free versions through in-app purchases.
- Real time guitar and bass mobile multiFX app
- Full rig built from 4 simultaneous stompboxes + amp + cabinet + mic
- 11 Stomps, 5 Amps, 5 Cabinets, 2 Mics available
- Import and play your songs or backing tracks with real time effects
- 36 presets can be saved/recalled on the fly
- Includes tuner/metronome
- Low-latency for real time playing
AmpliTube is available for around $19 from the Apple iTunes App Store