iPad is now in 10 countries...and the iPad is Jailbroken
Steve Jobs showed an e-mail he got: “I was sitting in a cafe with my iPad and it got a girl interested in me. Now that’s what I call a magical device!”
8,500 apps in the App Store for iPad. 17 apps per iPad that have already been downloaded. He’s showing off some apps: Pulse, WebMD, eBay, Iron Man game, Fieldrunners, Avatar, Flight Tracker, a lot of newspaper and magazines. Financial Times. Wired.
Elements, a periodic table app. “I earned more on sales of the elements for iPad in the first day than from the past 5 years of Google ads on periodic table,” says maker of Elements
Users have downloaded 5 million books. That’s about 2 and a half books per iPad. Five of the six biggest publishers in the U.S. tell Apple that the share of e-books is 22% via iBooks.
iPhone 4G Discussion
“iPhone 4: This is really hot. There are 100 new features and I’m going to cover 8 with you.”
“It is just 9.33 mm thick — 24% thinner than the iPhone 3GS…. As a matter of fact, it is the thinnest smartphone on the planet.”
960 x 640 pixels
326 pixels per inch
800:1 contrast ratio
But that’s not all: it records HD video, says Steve. 720 p at 30 frames per second. “It’s real HD video.”
- Tap to focus video
- Built-in video editing
- One-click sharing
- LED Flash will stay on to illuminate scenes for video recording
- iPhone 4 includes a front-facing camera and support for videoconferencing with other iPhone 4 users, via a feature called FaceTime.
- The iPhone 4 screen includes a high-resolution technology that Apple is calling “retina display,” with 328 pixels per inch. Overall, the 3.5-inch display has 960 x 640 pixels, more than the Motorola Droid (854 x 480) and HTC Incredible (800 x 480), close competitors that run Google’s Android OS. “The display is your window into the internet, your apps, your media, your software,” said Jobs.
- The iPhone 4 now uses the A4 processor, Apple’s custom-designed CPU that powers the iPad.
- Quad-band HSDPA/HSUPA wireless data support that will give the phone 7.2 Mbps download speeds and 5.8 Mbps upload. “That’s theoretical because carriers don’t support that speed yet,” said Jobs after they suffered from a wireless outage at one point.
- A 5-megapixel camera with 5x digital zoom and the ability to record HD video at 720p and 30 frames per second. The camera also includes an LED flash, a common feature in other phones that was missing from previous versions of the iPhone. The iPhone 4 also includes a version of iMovie, Apple’s video-editing software, to let people edit and post video clips.
- Support for iBooks, the e-book reader on the iPad. The new iBooks also supports viewing and annotating PDF documents.
WWDC 2010 Stats:
Over 5,200 attendees at WWDC. People from over 50 countries. Sold out in just 8 days. Over 125 sessions and 120 hands on labs